Kitchen Questions – The 6 Most Common Cooking Questions Answered
Those of us trying to perfect our culinary prowess often have an endless list of questions when it comes to creating delicious dishes for our family and friends. Whilst we can’t answer all the questions you might have about cooking, we can answer six of the most common ones:
1. Do you need to use induction cookware for induction hobs?
It is important to use the best cookware for induction tops in order for the heat from the copper wire under the ceramic plate to be transferred into the pots and pans. This cookware is made with a special material like magnetic stainless steel or cast iron.
2. Can you use *Insert Flour Type Here* instead of all-purpose flour?
Many people want to know if you can switch all-purpose flour, for the type of flour they have in their cupboard. The best thing to do in such instances is to look for a recipe that uses the flour you have, rather than trying to make an all-purpose recipe fit around your current ingredients.
If you can’t do that, the most important thing to do is to research before making any switch. Baking is a fine art, and using the wrong type of flour in a recipe can directly impact the outcome of your bake. Thankfully, there are plenty of resources online ready and waiting to teach you everything you need to know about flour and its alternatives.
3. What is the best way to peel a garlic clove?
The easiest way to peel a garlic clove is to take a clove from the bulb and then crush it with the back of a wooden spoon or the flat side of a knife. You can then easily remove the skin and base of the clove, leaving you with lovely fresh garlic for your recipe. This tip takes all the mess and stress out of this pesky little job. However, removing the smell of garlic from your hands is a far trickier endeavor.
4. How do I keep my herbs fresh?
The easiest way to have fresh herbs always on hand is to grow them yourself. You can also freeze them for use in the future. If you are buying cut herbs, the best way to keep them fresh is to keep them in a jar with water, just like you would with fresh flowers. Ideally, they won’t be in the sunny windowsill either as this can wilt them.
5. What are the best spices to keep on hand?
Spices are an essential secret weapon for any home cook. The first step is to choose good quality salt and pepper, avoiding cheap chemical salt where you can. Instead, choose sea salt or Himalayan pink salt where possible.
Then, add some versatile spices into the mix such as:
- Bay leaves, rosemary, and thyme are excellent choices for stews, roasts, casseroles, and soups.
- Dried garlic is excellent for many savory dishes if you are short on time to prepare it fresh.
- Cinnamon is a good choice for both sweet and savory meal types, such as curries and pies.
- Paprika, chili flakes, chili powder, and cayenne are excellent for bringing warmth to marinades, sauces, and curries.
6. Do you need to keep eggs in the fridge?
In a lot of countries, you can keep eggs at room temperature, with no need to pop them in the fridge. However, in America, it is recommended that eggs are kept in the fridge to reduce the risk of food poisoning.
Using the tips above, you can boost your cooking skills and create tasty family meals every day.